Our Sponsors and Donors
In addition to the ongoing support received from the University of Michigan Health System, we are grateful to our sponsors and donors who have supported us in this journey to provide a healthier future for our children. Over the past couple of years, we received substantial grants and private donations from some of the following foundations:
- The D. Dan and Betty Kahn Foundation graciously and very generously provided a gift to cover a portion of PHS' core program costs over the next three years.
The AstraZeneca HealthCare Foundation provided two large grants which allowed implementation of PHS and additional opportunities for physical activity and fresh produce in several Detroit schools, including:
- Detroit International Academy for Young Women (a Detroit Public School)
- International Prep Academy at MacDowell (a DPS authorized charter)
- Schultz Elementary-Middle School (a Detroit Public School)
- YMCA Detroit Leadership Academy (Detroit, MI)
- Memorial Health Care Foundation granted PHS partner, Memorial FIT Kids a gift to continue the PHS program in 10 schools in the Memorial Health Care's region:
- Byron Middle School (Byron, MI)
- Chesaning Middle School (Chesaning, MI)
- Corunna Middle School (Corunna, MI)
- Durand Area Middle School (Durand, MI)
- E.E. Knight Elementary School (Ovid-Elsie, MI)
- Laingsburg Middle School (Laingsburg, MI)
- Morrice Elementary School (Morrice, MI)
- Owosso Middle School (Owosso, MI)
- Perry Middle School (Perry, MI)
- St. Paul Catholic School (Owosso, MI)
- The Robert F. Beard Charitable Foundation's gift allowed PHS to work in Willow Run Intermediate Learning Center, covering the cost of the health screening and opportunities for after school recreational programming. In addition, the Beard Foundation gift provided support to bring Farm to School activities and community gardening support to Willow Run and Ypsilanti area schools.
- The American Heart Association provided a Community Action Grant that supported school gardens and a Farm to School program at two Detroit schools.
- The Dr. Robert C. and Veronica Atkins Foundation is supporting PHS in three schools in the Greater Flint area:
- Grand Blanc East Middle School (Grand Blanc, MI)
- Grand Blanc West Middle School (Grand Blanc, MI)
- Carman-Ainsworth Middle School (Flint, MI)
- The Bob and Ellen Thompson Foundation's generous gifts have allowed PHS to expand the program into three Detroit Charter Schoolsand provide fresh produce and additional after school physical activity at these schools:
- University Prep Academy (Detroit, MI)
- University Prep Science and Math Academy (Detroit, MI)
- Henry Ford Academy: School for Creative Studies (Detroit, MI)
In addition to the support we have received from the many foundations and corporations listed above, we are also grateful to the many individual donors who have contributed to PHS over the years. The generosity of our donors enables us to continue the battle against childhood obesity and insures that our research efforts will be shared with others for replication in communities across Michigan and the US.