Our Sponsors and Donors
We are grateful to our sponsors and donors who have supported us in this journey to provide a healthier future for our children. To support PHS in 2012-2013, we received substantial grants and private donations from some of the following foundations:
- A second generous grant from The AstraZeneca HealthCare Foundation is allowing us to take the PHS program to four more Detroit schools: YMCA Detroit Leadership Academy, International Prep Academy at MacDowell (a Detroit Public Schools charter), Schultz Academy (a Detroit Public School) and Detroit International Academy (a Detroit Public School). It has also funded additional opportunities for physical activity and fresh produce in the Detroit schools.
- Memorial Health Care Foundation granted PHS partner, Memorial FIT Kids money to continue the PHS program through the 2012-2013 school year and expand it to all 11 schools in the Shiawassee County region.
- A gift from the Robert F. Beard Charitable Foundation is allowing us to continue our work in Willow Run Intermediate Learning Center, covering the cost of the health screening and opportunities for after school recreational programming. In addition, the Beard Foundation gift will provide support to bring Farm To School activities and community gardening support to Willow Run and Ypsilanti area schools.
- A Community Action Grant from the American Heart Association is being used to support school gardens and a Farm to School program at two Detroit schools.
- A grant from the Dr. Robert C. and Veronica Atkins Foundation is supporting PHS in two Grand Blanc middle schools.
- Generous gifts from the Bob and Ellen Thompson Foundation have allowed us to expand the program into three Detroit Charter Schools: University Prep Academy, University Prep Science and Math Academy and the Henry Ford Academy.
- Champions for Charity Foundation, which has donated a portion of the proceeds from their fitness events including the Big House Big Heart Run, the Firecracker 5K and 100 Meter Kids Dash, and the Turkey Trot Run.
In addition to the support we have received from the many foundations and corporations listed above, we are also grateful to the many individual donors who have contributed to PHS over the years. The generosity of our donors enables us to continue the battle against childhood obesity and insures that our research efforts will be shared with others for replication in communities across Michigan and the US.