Clague Middle School
Spring 2012 Update
- PHS activities are now concluded in all 12 advisory classes. The Health Ambassadors from the University of Michigan and MCORRPS did a fantastic job interacting with the students and modeling good health!
- The 4th annual Beach Volleyball tournament was a huge success. All advisories in the school participated and the winning advisories received a smoothie and popcorn party. The event culminated in late April as the grades gathered to cheer on the winning advisory students as they challenged the staff. The teachers were victorious against the 6th and 7th graders but couldn't defend the height, strength and determination of the 8th graders! Kudos to Jacquie Baird, Clague PE teacher for her endless efforts to make this an outstanding event.
- Clague embraced National Nutrition Month by starting each day of the month with a healthy tip, read in the morning announcements by the students from health class.
- Plans for the 5th annual 5K are already in the works. Look for more details coming soon.
- May 10 was a crisp and sunny morning and scores of students biked to school to celebrate National Bike to School day. By the time the first bell rang, the bike rack was full, and the volunteer parents and teachers had a long list of students' names, all who would later benefit from the generous donations of local bike shops in an afternoon raffle. All students received a blinking reflector and some students won bike helmets, mirrors, orange reflector vests and odometers, Police Officer Gold who works with the Ann Arbor Public Schools was on hand to remind students about helmet and bike safet. Two Wheel Tango set up a tent and performed free bike tune-ups after school. It was a fantastic day!
Chef Neil from Chartwells served delicious and nutritious snacks for students in March to celebrate National Nutrition Month. "Snack Attack" featured both hummus and vegetables, and a yogurt and fruit parfait. YUM!
Health Team Updates
The Clague Wellness Team has an amazing group of teachers, administrators, parents and students who meet regularly under the direction of our fantastic Wellness Champion Ellen Hopkins! The team is now planning the year end Fun 5K.
The entire school, faculty and students, are anxiously awaiting the Fun 5K on June 14.