Scarlett Middle School
Spring 2012 Update
Weekly Project Healthy Schools (PHS) activities started in mid-January after a kickoff assembly and have just finished. Scarlett Wellness Champions Laura Hurst and Matt Hughes were key in organizing the assembly and making sure that the activities have gone smoothly! They have also continued to post new PHS bulletin boards and healthy living announcements.
Students get hands-on by making a salad in one of the PHS activities
A recent PHS bulletin board on breakfast!
The weekly PHS activities are finished so the Healthy Habits Challenge is the next activity for the 6th grade!
Health Team Updates
- The Scarlett School Health Team helped promote a healthy snack demo that was provided by Chartwells food service in March for National Nutrition Month. The event included letting students make and sample a yogurt parfait and hummus with veggies. The kids loved it!
- The Team organized their 2nd annual open gym night where Scarlett families could use the pool, take part in a 3-point basketball contest, and play volleyball. Other games, such as Ping-Pong and bean bag toss were also available. There was a small entry fee and healthy snacks including fruit smoothies and water were available for purchase. This was a great healthy fund raiser that was very successful!
- Representatives from the team also sold healthy snacks at the recent school carnival, which were well received.
- School staff, as well as students, have also been invited to fill out "I will" statements about their health and wellness goals. You can see these inspiring goals posted around the school!
- The next initiatives for the team include possibly planning an activity for All Children Exercising Simultaneously (ACES) and for the end of the year Fun Fair.
- We are always looking for more parents and students to get involved! We meet once per month, after school. If you would like to be part of this group, please contact Lindsey Mitchell at email@example.com