Tappan Middle School
Spring 2012 Update
Even though the ten Project Healthy Schools (PHS) activities finished at Tappan in December, a lot of health promotion has been going on at the school ever since! One example is that the 6th grade participated in the PHS Healthy Habits Challenge, where advisory classes competed to see which could achieve the most healthy habits. There was actually a tie, with two classes (Mrs. Raymond and Mrs. Borges) winning! Each of these classes received a healthy smoothie party as a prize.
Another recent happening was that the Tappan School Health Team helped organize and promote a healthy snack demo with Chartwells Food Service for March since it was National Nutrition Month. The team secured the date for the demo and made announcements to the students. The demo included students making and sampling yogurt parfaits and homemade hummus with veggies. It was a big hit!
Chef Neil from Chartwells poses with the table of healthy snacks!
Health Team Updates
Wellness Champion Sarah Frantom (7th grade teacher) has been leading the school health team and extending PHS messages throughout the school. Updates include:
- Daily healthy tip announcements were read for March during National Nutrition Month.
- Collaboration has begun with the Tappan Players to add healthier items to play rehearsals and concession stands.
- An activity is being organized for All Children Exercising Simultaneously (ACES) day. All classes have received instructions so they can learn a dance that they will do on the national day in May.
- Planning is under way for the annual Fun Food and Fitness Day. The team is organizing a run with field activities afterwards in June.
- We are always looking for more parents and students to get involved! If you would like to be part of this group, please contact Lindsey Mitchell at email@example.com