Ypsilanti Middle School
Spring 2012 Update
- Three PHS health ambassadors, including our work study student, Melissa Loughlin, completed the teaching of all 10 PHS lessons to second quarter and third quarter 7th grade students in health class.
- The 4/26 Healthy Living Expo included dinner and 10 stations focusing on increasing activity and eating healthier. RAHS, PTSO, Ann Arbor Y, and several other groups hosted stations while PHS volunteers and the PTSO covered the healthy snack tables. The Beard Foundation funds are being used for the dinner and for the healthy snack samples. It was a fun night with lots of families at the school and three happy prize winners!
- Fruit bowls are being enjoyed in all core curriculum classrooms through the end of the school year!
A fun year-end activity is being planned!
- Snack Attack, during all lunch hours, featured a hummus sampling in March, National Nutrition Month. Students were a little unsure about the hummus but were more willing to try the sample when it was on a chip.
- Bowls filled with fruit are delivered to all core curriculum classrooms (food isn’t a good idea in elective classes, like Art, Computers, PE, etc.) weekly through the end of May. A flyer with fun food facts accompanies the produce each week. Chartwells, the foodservice provider, is partnering with us to make this happen and it is funded by Beard Foundation.
- March featured a Knife Skills training taught by Kathy Goldberg and Lizzie Burt for eight Ypsilanti foodservice staff members. Staff now will be able to prep fruits and veggies more quickly and with less waste.
Kathy Goldberg (center) instructs Ypsi Schools foodservice staff at a Knife Skills class in March, 2012.
Health Team Updates
- Healthy Habits Challenge, a contest to see which advisory, is implementing healthy habits most often, focuses on food choices at breakfast and increasing activity started April 24.
- The health team continues to meet monthly.